I decided to purchase a month of FitBox Samples to give yet another subscription box a try on my quest for supplements and gels and snacks. Well, I certainly got plenty of snacks from FitBox:
What I tried:
- Kashi GoLean Crips! Chocolate Caramel: This was tasty, like a handful of popcorn with chocolate chips.
- Builder’s Protein Bar, Chocolate Peanut Butter: I’ll eat these sometimes if I can’t make myself a protein shake, but they are not very good. They basically taste like chalk with some peanut butter mixed in for flavor.
- Balance Bar, Cookie Dough: Another chalky bar.
- PowerBar Harvest Energy Pure & Simple, Roasted Peanut Butter: This I liked. It tasted like a regular granola bar with peanuts, although the nutrition information isn’t all that great. It’s very carb-heavy and light on the protein compared to other post-workout bars.
What’s still left:
- Stretch Island Berry Fruit Chews. I do like fruit chews and often buy Welch’s as snacks.
- FRS Healthy Energy powdered drink mix, Wild Berry. It has caffeine and green tea extract, so I’m guessing it’s an energy drink.
- PowerGel Performance Energy Gel, Tangerine. Finally, what I was hoping for! This one has caffeine, and I do want to test caffeinated vs. non-caffeinated on my runs.
- Trace Minerals Research Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak (1,200 mg vitamin C), Raspberry: It’s cold and flu season. This is going down the hatch.
Of note, there was no card to explain what I got in the box, and the box itself was a Priority Mail box, not a proprietary box like so many other services. Everything came in a kind of burlap-type drawstring bag.
My verdict is that there are too many snacks in here, some of which have gluten (boo! I don’t have celiac disease, but I avoid overdoing the gluten because of my skin) and others which have chocolate (see: skin). I did end up canceling, but if you’re a person who likes getting a mix of 60 percent snacks and a couple supplements, give FitBox Samples a shot. It’s $10 per month plus shipping.