Some days, I’m craving comfort food. Meatloaf is one of the comfort foods I thought I’d have to give up forever once I started on the psoriasis diet, which is laid out in Dr. John’s Healing Psoriasis Cookbook. But this gluten-free recipe for chicken mushroom loaf adapted from the cookbook is nightshade-free, has no red meat, and is absolutely delicious.
- 1 10 oz. package of sliced fresh mushrooms (I like baby bella mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 chopped garlic clove (or 1 tsp minced garlic from a jar)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, then add onions and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and thyme and cook until the mushrooms are tender. Make sure you stir often. Let the mushroom mixture cool in a large bowl.
- Once the mushroom mixture is cool enough to touch, add everything except the bay leaves and mix until thoroughly blended. You will probably have to use your hands.
- Pack the mixture into a meatloaf pan, then place the bay leaves on top.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours, and let it stand 15 minutes before serving.