Meal prep can be a real pain in the neck some Sundays, particularly ones that feature a full day of church, kid activities, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping… yeah. The last thing I want to do is slave over a hot stove, chop vegetables, and cook my meals for the week. All I really want to do is shove a roast chicken in the oven and catch up on Hindsight or Nashville while I’m folding laundry.
So I look for shortcuts for some of these weeks. This ground turkey/brown rice/broccoli lunch isn’t super-sexy (and with the Greek dressing, not gluten-free, either), but it’s quick, easy, and with a tablespoon of feta cheese, delicious. This recipe yields four lunches and is nightshade-free.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- Good Seasons Greek Dressing Mix
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- big head of broccoli florets
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
What to do:
- Combine rice and water in a rice cooker. Turn the rice cooker on, and press start. Set a timer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek dressing mix, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Add more of both if you want it a little more liquidy, but this mix worked well for me.
- Cook the ground turkey in a skillet or wok until it’s browned. Add the Greek dressing mix and make sure the turkey is thoroughly coated.
- When the timer goes off, add broccoli to the steamer basket on your rice cooker. Continue cooking the rice and broccoli until it’s done.
- Divide the rice, broccoli, and seasoned turkey into four reusable lunch containers.