Happy New Year! If you woke up like me, you rolled out of bed a little late and ready for a hearty breakfast. On days like today, nothing beats pancakes. This recipe for cottage cheese protein pancakes more than fits the bill; they are gluten-free and nightshade-free, and they’re packed with all sorts of nutrients.
They’re also really easy to make; you basically gather the ingredients, cook them like regular pancakes, and top them with the nut butter and fruit of your choice. I like the cottage cheese protein pancakes with almond butter and mandarin oranges; these are both foods I always have in my house. I’ve been known to make myself one of these on lazier weekend mornings or as a refueling treat after a long run. Halving the recipe is really easy, too.
For Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes, You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- A small can of mandarin oranges packed in juice
- 2 tbsp almond butter
What to Do:
- Mix the oats, cottage cheese, almond flour, egg whites, vanilla, and salt in a bowl.
- Spray a frying pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put the pan on the burner over medium-low heat. (Alternatively, you can use an electric griddle.) Pour the mixture into the pan to form two medium pancakes. Cook on one side about 3 minutes, or until you can safely turn it over, then turn it over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Spread 1 tbsp of almond butter on each pancake. Top with oranges. Serve the cottage cheese protein pancakes immediately.
Makes 2 servings of cottage cheese protein pancakes. Nutrition information (per 1 serving): 382 calories, 12.8 g fat, 42 g carbs, 25.8 g protein.